Monday 26 May 2008

How to stay in the game


Three brilliant days in Cannes and, rather than the usual despair at the superficial way our beloved industry can be, i find myself invigorated beyond belief.
Its a combination of meeting some really cool people along with 'finding myself' and where I fit into it all.
I'll hold my hands up and admit that I have struggled to fit into the industry to date. I've felt on the fringes and have been rather intimidated and often sickened by the full-volume self-congratulation and self promotion that people tend to peddle.
Now, i realise that i just have to make thing happen myself, not rely on people, and am starting to see that people actually have started treating me with respect for who i am without me feeling the need to please.

at Cannes, LA, or Soho you'll see a familiar sight.
On one side of a table, sits a nonchalant man/woman who either have money/power/connections (or perhaps the illusion of it).
on the other side sits a young needy writer/director/producer/actor desperately trying to impress.

Looking at it objectively, the needy tend to be on a loser. If you want it sooooo bad you'll either be exploited, toyed with, or just mistreated.
You can't afford to be vulnerable. Its a weakness that's easily milked.
if you're good, committed and your own person, they'll want you more.

Which is where I'm at right now.
two years ago i was kept waiting 4 hours for a meeting. when she arrived she immediately used her cellphone without a single apology. as i sat waiting, script poised in my bag i realised i had made a complete tit of myself. I had let myself down.

Since then I've slowly taken all this on board and now I'm Dan Turner. director. I do films i love to make. I need money to make them, but I won't suck off your ego to get them made.
if you like me and my work enough... well. maybe you'll want to take a punt.

I don't need to tell you how great i am.
you can make your own mind up.

I just want to tell stories. Always have.
I hope I get the chance to do this every day of my life.
and I realize that only I can make this happen.

1 comment:

Elinor said...

Good for you, Dan!